Friday, June 10, 2011

Laodicea!

Laodicea is one of the newer and smaller excavation sites although more and more is being discovered all the time! While it was small in size, it was an amazing site to learn about in light of what is read in Revelation!

______________________________________

"And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: 'The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s creation.

"'I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'"

Revelation 3:14-22

______________________________________


Before, the photos commence, we need to know a few things about Laodicea...

1) Laodicea is located where two rivers converge... one formed from snow melt off which was freezing cold and the other contributory was from Hierapolis which produced scolding hot mineral water (see, I told you there was a pun). So, it would be better to be either hot or cold, but not luke warm!

2) The water from Hierapolis could not be drunk... neither before it hit the cold water, nor after... when it was luke warm. So, you'd have to spit it out of your mouth!

3) Laodicea was INCREDIBLY wealthy as it was on a major trade route, is believed to be where banking began, and had a specialized wool that was the cat's meow. So, that gave them reason to believe that they were wealthy and thought they needed nothing especially clothing (the wool)!


They really need to learn how to spell here in Turkey. :O)


This is the road to Damascus!


Now this is a special find... us on the tour call it "Saba's Stone" as our tour guide literally discovered this etching on one of his tours. He asked the archeologists on the dig and they told him that this was on a pillar of a "temple" facing toward the back wall (hidden like). It is a menorah with a cross coming out of it with an olive branch on one side and a flexed arm on the other side.

We can only guess at what it means, but it seems to me (and Saba) that the person who made this was a Jewish convert to Christianity who was encouraging those who saw it to remain peaceful (olive branch) and remain strong (flexed arm).

How cool is that?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment